This Needs to Stop – Sneakers & Business Casual

27 Apr

It has come to our attention at TNTS that many of you are throwing the most basic of fashion tips out the window on your daily jaunt to and from work. We aren’t here to point any fingers, but merely provide some guidance when putting your best foot forward. Ok fine. First we’ll point fingers and then we’ll guide. Nothing like a little shock therapy to whip you into shape.

So, do you know what needs to stop? Wearing sneakers with business casual attire. If you just looked down at your feet to check to see if you are breaking this fundamental fashion rule you likely are. That is unless you’re Justin Timberlake in which case our lives are about to get a hell of a lot more interesting.

But seriously let’s imagine this. It’s the middle of July. Kate Middleton and Wills are rumoured to be in town. You are busting it to work when all of a sudden you see them. And trust us, Kate sees you and you’re crazy white cross trainers. What would Kate do you ask? She would likely throw back her glorious mane of hair and laugh while simultaneously reaching into her Birkin Bag and tossing you a pair of spare flats that she carries around at all times just in case.

While this would make for a great story on your part, Kate is now leaving the city thinking, “Goodness! Halifax was a quaint place, but heavens do they have horrible footwear! Tut tut!!” Now the rest of us get stuck in this mass generalization that our shoes suck.

In today’s world full of giant purses and amazingly good bargains there is no reason for you lovely ladies to be clomping around in your sneakers en route to the office, merely to change into more stylish footware upon arrival. While we can completely understand the functionality of pairing a bright white sneaker with a black pencil skirt and silk blouse, for obvious reasons we can’t understand the fashionability behind it.

So we’d like to introduce to you your new best friend, the flat. Flat’s have been around since the 18th century so it’s not like we’re trying to force you into a dress made out of meat or something. Flats can be just as, if not more comfortable than sneakers AND because they are available in just about every colour imaginable you have no reason to avoid them when putting on your favourite Monday – Friday outfits.

Flats are also an affordable way to spruce up your closet. Joe Fresh is a great place to pick up a great pair of flats you can usually find them on sale!

H&M also has some great flats in their summer collection and for under $20!

Joe Fresh Flats $39 (left) H&M Peep Toe Flats $19 (right)

If you thinking no WAY are fancy little flats more comfortable then my LA Gear kicks we challenge you to a street race. That’s right. We will run all the way down Barrington St. at full speed and prove that we can win races and look great while doing it.

So please, unless you’re in appropriate leisure attire, put away those sneaks. You’ll be glad that you did.

Advertisements

7 Responses to “This Needs to Stop – Sneakers & Business Casual”

1. nataliejoan April 27, 2011 at 1:01 pm #

Laughing my a** off. Mostly because I do this. Not regularly, but on occasion. I cannot find a pair of flats that don’t give me blisters. I have tried. So if I have extensive walking to do, out come the sneakers. In my defense: they are grey, not glaring white, and until two days ago, my walk to work was 55 minutes long.

• This Needs to Stop April 27, 2011 at 2:09 pm #

haha I love it! Like we said. We WILL shock / guilt you into changing your ways 🙂

2. The Tea Lady April 27, 2011 at 1:58 pm #

Ecco sells some fabulous walking flats -http://www.eccocanada.com/lite.html
    but then I don’t even know what business casual looks like. Must get out of my office cave more often.

3. Amy April 27, 2011 at 5:35 pm #

I think we need to clarify by saying we aren’t dissing on a nice pair of Pumas or Converse to a casual office setting, especially for the menfolk. This is like, designated gym sneakers. As in performance footwear with things like air technology and reflective bits. If you would run a marathon in them, you shouldn’t be wearing them to work. Unless you are a professional runner – in which case fill your boots.

4. Mark April 27, 2011 at 7:12 pm #

I’ve been known to do this (with black sneakers) but it’s mainly so I can walk home after work (2 hour walk in dress shoes = not comfy) and to keep my work shoes from getting wrecked.

But I see women all the time on the bus with the nice dress clothes and the bright white and orange sneakers, and I thought I was the only one being driven insane by it. Lol

5. nataliejoan April 28, 2011 at 9:02 am #

What we really need are comfy platform walking shoes. For us shorties who hem their pants to be worn with 3″ heels.

6. Margret May 19, 2011 at 8:00 am #

Although flats tend to be less bad for the small of the back and the knees, they are just as bad as heels at encouraging bunyons (aka hallux) because, unlike good trainers or sensible shoes, flats do not provide support to the bones in the middle of your foot.
    Do not wear flats if you have to walk for any length of time.
    Let’s face it, most dress shoes are instruments of torture, not much better than the horrible, luckily defunct Chinese tradition of binding women’s feet to make them look tiny and dainty.
    So, how about getting a pair or three of quality sneakers that blend with your black, anthrazite or navy business suits?